The Wooster bus pick up location is at Corbett Elementary School, 1901 Villanova Dr.
It is across the street from the Wooster High School Baseball fields. We moved the pick up spot north so we didn't have to worry about someone opening a gate. If you are coming from the north side of town, turn right on the first street after the off ramp. There is another ski program going on there also. Please get on the correct bus. If not, you will end up at Tahoe Donner in Truckee!
Reed is easy to find.
Sky Tavern will be opening the weekend of January 11-12. Bus kids ride buses please. Don't try to drop them off at Sky Tavern.
Bus Kids Instructions for Mom or Dad
What you need to know is first off if Sky Tavern is open on that Saturday or Sunday. This is the GO/NO-GO message. Download the Sky Tavern app for your phone. The message can also be found in your email, on the front page of the website, skytavern.org or by calling the office phone at 775 323 5125. We try to make the Go or No-Go call by 6:30 am each planned opening day. I have made the wrong call more than once but it is almost always based on weather. If we call No-Go then we try to make up that day later in the season. If we say No-Go on Saturday, Sunday may still be a Go.
The buses pick up and drop off at two locations, Wooster and Reed High Schools. The Wooster stop has been moved a few hundred feet to the elementary school right behind the Wooster ball fields. Roger Corbett, 1901 Villanova Dr.
To ride the bus:
- A child must be registered as a bus kid with that badge unless a child of the bus supervisor.( If you don't have the badge yet it can be picked up at the front desk of the lodge. The kids can still get on the bus until they pick it up.)
- To be registered as a bus kid they must be 9 years or older.
- Their skis and snowboards must be in a bag to protect the bus from cuts.
- They must be on the roster for that day by having purchased a ticket for the bus for that day and location. See below on how to do that.
- Be nice. This is a privilege not a right. Being nice to the driver and bus supervisors can go a long way in life, please. The bus driver is a WCSD bus driver during the week doing a second shift for your kids. The bus supervisor is your neighbor.
- Be ready at the pick-up location at the right time. We start the first week by saying 7 am. The bus supervisors and drivers may change it once everyone gets the system down. Watch the emails please!
Bus tickets. We started this system of buying each ride individually as opposed to buying all of the rides upfront for a few reasons.
- We needed to keep buses full. A bus with 10 kids in it costs the same as full bus for Sky Tavern. Sky Tavern lost $12,000 on the buses last season. Can't do that.
- Keeping buses full is good for winter. Sky Tavern needs to do its part on climate change. We like winter.
- Kids need to change days and locations. Baseball, soccer and music seemed to change kids schedules a lot.
- Some kids wanted to come both days every weekend. The old system just didn't let that happen.
- If you miss some days, you save.
Tickets for Buses
This site for bus tickets will go up on the 6th in time for Week 1.
To buy a ticket go to skytavern.org and click on Purchase Memberships - Members Portal. Then click 2020 Sky Tavern Memberships- Meal Passes. On the left side it says 2020 Bus Transportation. Now you should see the cartoon bus. Click to purchase the correct location and day. It charges the same card you signed up with. I will include a link and a reminder in each week's email. You need to purchase the tickets each week for each day and location you want to use and do it by Thursday night. We need time to get the list to Washoe County so they have the right number of buses at each location.
If you do not use the ticket that you purchased it is NOT transferable to the following week unless Sky Tavern cancels the day. When you click and buy a ticket, Sky Tavern pays for a bus if you show or not. Sorry.
At 2:30 we start rounding up the bus kids for the ride home. The bus will not leave until all the bus kids are accounted for. If you come up to the hill and pick up your bus kid PLEASE go to the front desk and sign them out just like a school field trip. If you don't, we will hold the bus and keep looking for your child.
If at 2:30 your pride and joy has not reported to the bus, we give them a few minutes to do so. If still not there we may call you to see if you picked him up. If you didn't, then we send Patrol looking, so don't panic if you get that call. They are always still out skiing and ignoring the call to load the buses. We have not lost a kid yet. Sometimes a text from Mom sends them to the bus in a hurry.
Week 1. Buy a bus ticket. Have the kid at the bus location at 7 AM. All the gear in bags. Make friends with the bus supervisors. Kids should be back by 3:30 to 4. Don't forget to pick them up please.
Thanks. It is going to be a fun season.
for lots of helpful hints about Sky Tavern.
DOWNLOAD THE SKY TAVERN APP FOR YOUR PHONE!!!!!
Sky Tavern still has every size gear for most everyone. Bumble sized Dads are getting tough, but lots for kids. All of the gear goes back in the containers starting Jan 6th. That means the amount of effort to outfit someone goes up by a factor of two and the price might also. Get up here and get set up. Thursday and Friday should be big days for this. Kids are out of school. We do it on the weekend if there is help. Do not think we can set anyone up on opening day. There is way too much going on. I hate disappointing but the real world is opening weekend is hectic!
If you already got your gear please make sure the boots still fit. Kids grow faster than a cow's tail batting at the feeding trough.
Everyone rides or skis with a helmet