Sky Tavern is a non-profit regional center providing exceptional summer and winter outdoor sports training, competitions, recreation, and events, accessible to all.
Sky Tavern Since 1948
Sky Tavern is a volunteer staffed ski area just outside Reno, Nevada. Since 1948 more than 100,000 kids have been taught to ski and snowboard through the Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program at the second oldest ski area in the Sierras. Formerly part of the City of Reno, Sky Tavern became an independent 501(c) 3 non-profit in 1992 when faced with being sold by the City. Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program is the oldest and largest volunteer run ski school in the United States and maybe the world averaging 2800 participants a winter. It is staffed by PSIA/ASSIA instructors that teach for the love of the sport and children and other parents volunteering their time to do all tghe tasks that a ski area has.. Our conversion rate of kids into the winter sport is over 90% after one year and retaining greater than 60% in year three. In their own finding’s Mt.Rose Ski Tahoe found that 42% of their pass-holders were former Sky Tavern participants. Sky Tavern is very good at creating skiers and riders!
Sky Tavern’s flagship program is teaching kids to ski and snowboard, but Sky Tavern aspires to grow into a year-round, regional center for outdoor recreation that provides instruction and opportunities in other sports such as mountain biking, and offering summer camps and concerts. The City of Reno has given Sky Tavern a long-term lease and tasked us to increase recreation uses and improve the facilities. We are planning for new snowmaking, to allow us to open earlier, mountain biking trails for training and competition, and, ultimately, a new lodge. We continue to have the same ideals that have kept the winter programs thriving for over 65 years, but now everyone has a chance to play and compete in the outdoors no matter the date, the age or the personal challenge. Please be involved and make a difference in our community.
Who we are:
- We offer outdoor recreation to families and kids.
- We teach outdoor sports, such as skiing and mountain biking, from first-timers to champions.
- We create opportunities to train and compete in summer and winter outdoor sports.
- We promote and rely on volunteerism and community engagement.
- We include everyone regardless of income or special needs.
- We protect the Sky Tavern area and experience for future generations.
What we want to achieve in the next five years
- We shall provide outstanding year-round regional outdoor recreation, training, competition and events.
- We shall grow our alpine racing, freestyle, adaptive, and Junior ski and snowboard programs.
- We shall deliver reliably (i.e., regardless of weather) our flagship ski and snowboard program.
- We shall offer education for coaches, instructors, officials and other support personnel.
- We shall increase use of the facilities and grounds for special events, camps, and other uses.
- We shall expand opportunities and access to everyone regardless of income or special needs.
- We shall cultivate key partnerships.
- We shall enlarge and diversify our revenue sources.
- We shall build and improve physical infrastructure (e.g., snowmaking, biking trails and lodge).
- We shall add staffing to enable expansion of programs.